Announcements

On the Horizon

NEXT MEETING July 25 — IPMS Memphis Belle will meet at 10 a.m. Mid-South Hobbies and Games, located at 4862 Summer Ave., ​in Memphis. Club C...

Thursday, June 18, 2026

Postcards: Chris’s Adventures in Wonderland



By Chris Vandegrift

I’m on vacation in Edinburgh (pronounce that with uh sound at the end), Scotland, this week, and the family already lost me Day 1 to a hobby shop 435 feet from the hotel ​​​… Google is apparently rejecting the metric system, so in local speak that’s only 132 meters. I’m at Wonderland!

Wonderland was established more than 50 years ago and is Scotland’s largest model specialist.

It was truly a happy surprise! I had no idea till the girls were looking for a boba tea place and I saw this across the street!

Lots of Airfix as you might guess, it’s a full wall for sure. It’s a huge shop with R/C, LEGO, Warhammer and such. They’re not afraid to stock the big stuff either – multiple kits in each of 1/16 armour, 1/200 ships and 1/24 aircraft.

The storefront doesn’t make it look as big as it is. The store goes deep back into the block and spreads out a little bit in the back in a T-shape.

I found everything in here from plastic-bagged kits to vacuum-form models, but oddly, none of those all-photoetch kits. My fav though, was the Italeri custom show trucks that are on the European circuit. We can never get those in the States.

Prices include tax, also known as VAT here. And don’t bring Euros, they only take pounds in the UK, or the Scot version of the pound note, though you can’t use that outside of Scotland.

I really found it hard not to come home with a kit to add to my stash. Go figure!

So, I went back up to the Wonderland shop to look at those show trucks. I decided the determining factor would be, “if it fits in my backpack, I’m gonna go ahead and buy one.” Guess what? Of course, I found one that fit, and I bought the Abarth you see in the picture!

For those who may end up traveling, there’s no tariff, tax or duty due upon reentry to the U.S. Just book a $1,300 ticket and get your shipping for free! 



No comments:

Post a Comment